Home News Yankees giving Luis Severino one more rehab start

Yankees giving Luis Severino one more rehab start

by admin

Luis Severino came out of his first rehab start Wednesday with no issues and he is expected to make another rehab outing Tuesday at Double-A Somerset, since there are no minor league games on Mondays.

The Yankees hope to get the right-hander, who has yet to pitch for them this season due to a strained right lat, up to 60 or so pitches in his next start.

Manager Aaron Boone didn’t rule out the possibility of Severino returning to the rotation following that next rehab start.

“We’ll make that decision at that point,’’ Boone said.

Not surprisingly, Severino said after the Yankees’ 8-2 loss to the Rays on Thursday, that he was ready to start in the majors instead of waiting for another minor league appearance.

“I get it, but at this point, I know my body, and not for good reasons,’’ the oft-injured righty said. “I feel good. I feel ready. If I’m pitching there, I can pitch here. It’s still pitching and I’m healthy.”


Luis Severino, pictured during spring training, didn’t have any issues following his first rehab start.
Charles Wenzelberg

Without Severino, Frankie Montas and Carlos Rodon, who is expected to throw Saturday after receiving a cortisone injection in his back on Tuesday, the Yankees have used Jhony Brito and Clarke Schmidt in the rotation.

Rodon has been bothered by the back issue, which restricts his delivery, but despite the extended absence, Boone is hopeful he won’t need too long to be built back up.

“I wouldn’t say [he’d have to start] from scratch,’’ Boone said of Rodon, who was sidelined by a left forearm strain he suffered in spring training.

“He’s kept his arm going and has been throwing the last few months to varying degrees. Hopefully it’s a small ramp-up.”

But he was unsure when Rodon might start to face hitters again.


The Scranton Shuttle is in full effect, as Ryan Weber, on Thursday, became the latest reliever to be summoned from Triple-A. The right-hander gave up three runs in two innings in the loss to the Rays, but was able to finish the game.

Weber replaced Deivi Garcia, who was optioned to SWB after he picked up a three-inning save Wednesday against Oakland. Garcia had come up for Greg Weissert, who had been summoned to take Nick Ramirez’s spot.

Since Weber doesn’t have any minor league options remaining, the Yankees would have to designate him for assignment to call up another pitcher Friday. Weber made five appearances with the Yankees last season. He had a 5.77 ERA in seven appearances — all starts — with SWB this year.


Ryan Weber (62) reacts after giving up a home run against the Rays on Thursday.
Ryan Weber (62) reacts after giving up a home run against the Rays on Thursday.
Robert Sabo for the NY Post

To make room for Weber on the 40-man roster, Jonathan Loaisiga, who will be out until August following elbow surgery, was moved to the 60-day IL.


Tommy Kahnle (biceps) threw a live bullpen session, which “went well,” according to Boone. … Boone said Josh Donaldson could begin a rehab assignment next week, with Giancarlo Stanton considered a week behind.


Ben Rortvedt, the catching prospect the Yankees got back along with Donaldson and Isiah Kiner-Falefa last year in the trade that sent Gary Sanchez and Gio Urshela to the Twins, was reinstated from the IL and optioned to Triple-A.

Rortvedt had surgery to repair an aneurysm in his left shoulder during spring training. He has been sidelined by a variety of maladies since he became a Yankee.

Source Link

You may also like

Leave a Comment