Home News Trevor Bauer drops defamation lawsuit against The Athletic

Trevor Bauer drops defamation lawsuit against The Athletic

by admin

Former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has dropped his defamation suit against The Athletic and former reporter Molly Knight after the outlet agreed to post a clarification in a story about him from two years ago. 

The story, which was published on June 30, 2021, centered around allegations made against Bauer by a woman who had engaged in sexual encounters that she said went too far and led to the pitcher assaulting her. 

The pitcher denied the allegations and took issue with the reporting done by The Athletic and tweets from Knight that referenced the terms “cracked skull” and “fractured skull.”

The original story cited medical reports filed by the woman and mentioned that doctors had noted “signs of basilar skull fracture.” 

The same medical report also said that the victim had no actual fracture, which is what prompted Bauer to go after the outlet in court.

“Mr. Bauer has agreed that The Athletic’s clarification and the withdrawal of Ms. Knight’s tweets makes any further legal action unnecessary, and he has withdrawn his libel action against The Athletic and Ms. Knight,” a document filed in federal court Tuesday said, according to USA Today


Trevor Bauer during his tenure with the Dodgers
Getty Images

Former Athletic reporter Molly Knight
Former Athletic reporter Molly Knight
Twitter / @molly_knight

A clarification on the original article now reads: “This story was an account of legal papers filed by a California woman who claimed she had been injured by Trevor Bauer during rough sex. The story has been revised to clarify that a CT scan found no evidence the woman suffered a skull fracture and emergency room medical records attached to the woman’s request concluded she suffered no such fracture. The Athletic did not intend to state or imply that the woman suffered a fractured skull.”

Both parties agreed to cover their own legal costs, according to USA Today. 

The allegations against Bauer led to Major League Baseball suspending him for violating the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy.

He was banned for two years, but an arbitrator cut down the suspension to 154 games. 

Bauer was never charged with a crime and has continued to deny any wrongdoing. 

He was accused of new allegations by a woman in Arizona, but Bauer’s attorneys have denied those allegations as well.

Bauer has filed lawsuits against both the California and Arizona accusers. 

Bauer, 32, is currently playing professional baseball in Japan for the Yokohama BayStars.

Source Link

You may also like

Leave a Comment